21 December 2006

Tea with the queen


Well, not quite, since Brazil doesn't have a queen. This afternoon was an adventure. My friend has been telling me about this tea since I got here and we finally decided to go today. The picture is of me and her. Here's a rundown of the courses:



  • Bread: cheese bread, croissants, breads filled with guava jelly, danishes, and Hawaiian bread, all served with butter and 2 types of jelly (yellow papaya and apricot)

  • "Salgadinhos" (salty dishes): finger sandwiches -- ham & cheese, salmon, and sun-dried tomato with turkey; and baby quiches -- spinach and onion (not together)

  • "Doces" (sweets): waffle (pronounced "WAY-ful") with honey, chocolate fondue with fruits in season, and cakes of chocolate, nuts, and some sort of fruit that we didn't recognize

  • Drinks: water, juices of our choice, hot chocolate, and coffee

All of this was "a vontade" (as much as we wanted) for a fixed price. I couldn't put anything else in my stomach by the time the cakes came (thankfully, I was able to eat the fondue). Next time, I'm going to fast a full 24 hours in advance....


2 comments:

Allison said...

Yay! Thanks for posting pictures just for me (I just noticed today. I was,uh, a bit behind in my blog reading the last week of school)!

Awesome presents! Your mom is so fun!

Yay for Christmas! Yay for no school for two weeks! Yay for Brazil and hot weather where now it has finally become winter on the first day of winter-- there's a cold rain outside and the temperature has dropped 40+ degrees in the last day!

Anonymous said...

So when I come back to Brazil you are taking me there right?