12 December 2006

Funny sounds

As I am sitting here at my computer, I hear the unmistakable sound of a vaccuum cleaner and wonder who is dumb enough to have carpet here in Brasil. It's certainly funny to hear sounds that are familiar to home in a foreign land. As you know, carpet is a great insulator of homes in the US to keep the heat in during winter. It's getting to be summer here and while it's not even close to being hot yet, our homes are built of brick and concrete and our floors are covered with tile. That helps ward off the heat (and laying on the cool floor when it's hot feels so good!).

3 comments:

bettercountry said...

I used a vacuum on my non-carpeted floors in Portugal (and in Virginia) to suck up all the dust bunnies and dirt before I mopped.

Maybe they were doing that?

Anonymous said...

my guess would be an American. And another advantage to having houses made with tile roofs and floors with concrete blocks and stucko is that it is very hard to burn down. Me and my pyro brothers shoud have burnt our house down at least 4 times over. I mean really who rights letters with alcohol on the outside wall and lites it up anymore. We really had fun with fire including building a small fort from a tree we cut down and then burning it down, we made are matchbox cars really catch on fire when they crashed and We even burnt the facial hair off our friends that came over. <-- the wheelbarrel fire story. When I come down there I will show you a rally cool trick with those wax bottle containers of rubbing alcohol. have good day

Jen said...

Actually they were vaccuuming the floorboard of the car (and it was an American that I know, and the vaccuum belongs to other Americans I know). I thought about that when I heard it turn off and the car door close. I really don't know anyone else here who owns a vaccuum.
Usually here in Brasil, people sweep and then mop up all the dirt that didn't come up with the broom (which can be quite a lot but somehow the house still ends up clean).