22 December 2006

Light of the World

Psalm 82 got me thinking this morning. I love the fact that it talks about defending the weak and maintaining the rights of the poor and oppressed. For me, at least in my life, that doesn't mean through law or politics (I am thankful each day that God created me as I am. Love to those of you in my life who are or desire to be in law, politics, or both!). Verse 5 says this: "They walk about in darkness." Do I think they walk about in the dark bumping into things because they sometimes can't pay their electric bill (a very real possibility)? Nope. They walk about in darkness because they don't know Christ. As a follower of Christ, one of the tasks that falls to me is carrying His message to others. I happen to live in Brasil. I happen to be a pharmacist who works on a team, bringing medical care to the slums of Rio. I would not be faithful to my task if I only took medical care with me. These people are not in darkness because they are poor or don't always have access to medical care. Sometimes that's even an advantage that helps them to see the hope that Christ gives. He has gone to prepare a dwelling place for us, His followers, His church, His bride. Because He came to this earth as a tiny baby (which we celebrate at Christmas), I have been rescued from the futility of the curses that were given to Adam and Eve in Genesis. Their curses brought death. Christ brings life.

No comments: