03 August 2004

Naturally, this comes next

What comes out of your mouth on a daily basis? I like to think that I've gotten pretty good at editing the thoughts that come across my mind enough to come out of my mouth in a presentable way, or to not come out of my mouth at all. Sometimes, though, that part of my brain that does the editing doesn't work as fast as my mouth and I end up saying things that I really shouldn't say. You know, I spent a whole summer trying to learn that, and all I learned was how to talk in code (and a LOT of verses out of Proverbs)! Marshmallows upon marshmallows of red kool-aid (or red Power-Ade before 10 am, I can't remember which) code. All on the way to Baton Rouge in the stolen Beefmobile, for some odd reason. There are only 2 people in the world who would understand anything about those last 2 sentences. And so, code either isn't that great or is too useful.
I am learning that it is much safer and not necessarily much easier to give our thoughts and words over to the Lord. He has saved me many times from saying things I shouldn't -- He offers my mouth restraint that I can't give it. He guards the door to my lips better than I ever could.
When do my words get me in trouble? When the editing part of my brain doesn't work fast enough. Maybe I need to practice more.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Oh, I definitely need more practice on that whole editing thing.

Maybe a fresh dose of Marshmallow training will do the trick?

I had a red PowerAde in your honor last week. Needs more trivia, though.