14 August 2004

Extra grace

I find myself needing a little extra grace lately, and it made me start thinking (along with reading in Exodus 16) about the Israelites and the manna. How do these two subjects relate? Perfectly, I say. The Israelites had to gather the manna every morning if they wanted food for the day. If they didn't gather, they had nothing to eat. If they gathered too much, it didn't last until the next day -- they had to go out and gather again. One of my favorite verses in there says "He who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little." The Israelites were responsible for gathering their own manna.
So it is with my own spiritual food. I am responsible for gathering it. Jim Elliot said that though we can be encouraged and uplifted by others, we cannot hold others responsible for our own feeding. We must dig into the Word and harvest its riches as the Spirit sees fit to reveal them to us. I pray that I will be disciplined and responsible enough for my own spiritual state that I may gather as much as I need every morning.

No comments: