16 August 2004

I WILL not grow weary

"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint."
I was reading Isaiah 40:31 the other day (suggestion from a friend) and noticed something really cool in the Portuguese. In English, all these verbs are in the future tense; i.e., they have not happened or are not happening yet. They are something we have to wait on. In Portuguese, the present tense of the verbs is used, so the verse would be translated something like this: "But those who hope in the LORD do renew their strength. They soar on wings like eagles; they run and do not grow weary, they walk and do not grow faint." It's a great thing to find out while I am running around like a crazy chicken with my head cut off. That is, that because I hope in the LORD, I am running with endurance. Not because I have it in myself, but because He is giving it to me, day by day, minute by minute. Bring on the race!

No comments: