30 January 2007

Preparing for a miracle

My friend JAX sent me a wonderful recipe for hummus yesterday. This weekend, I found a place to buy garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and sesame seeds and I tried to make some hummus. It turned out okay -- passable, edible, but not great. Here was the problem: most recipes that I've seen call for a 400-gram can of chickpeas (cooked). I BOUGHT 500 GRAMS OF DRY BEANS. Needless to say, they expanded very much when I soaked and cooked them. So, I ended up multiplying my intended amount of hummus and have tons left over.
Also, I saw a 500-gram can of tahini paste in the grocery store (that's 1 pound, folks!). WHO IN THE WORLD is going to use a pound of tahini paste? I didn't check to see how long it lasts once the can is opened. It was R$15 (about U$7). Next time I make hummus it just might be worth it.

1 comment:

mel_peru said...

mmm hummus, that's good stuff! luckily I've got a middle eastern restaurant close to my house and I can just go there if I want some ;-)