31 January 2007

One of the things I love about Brasil is its seemingly endless supply of fruit. We got up early this morning and went to the CADEG (I found out what it stands for but it's a really long, boring name to translate so I'll spare you). I bought strawberries and peaches. Being a Georgia girl myself, I couldn't pass the peaches without at least trying one. And let me tell you, it tasted just like a peach should taste.
I also tried a type of fruit I've never heard of before, called sapoti. It was kind of a cross between an apple and a pear with a strange taste (my co-workers said it was like a fig; I'll have to take their word for it).
Pineapple I might have bought; however, it is a pain to cut up. People actually use the word for pineapple when they are talking about a situation that isn't going to be worth it in the long run to get into (because the work is going to be much more than the outcome).

3 comments:

mel_peru said...

hey! peruvians use the word pineapple as slang too..it means bad luck. So you'll eat a peach any where you see it without washing it?! Living in SA, that is what I first thought of :-) Have you tried mamei? That is the most recent fruit I have tried, and it doesnt exist in the states as far as I know. Maybe it doesnt exist in Brazil either, and if it does, it probably has a different name!

Jen said...

Mel, sadly I actually do peel the peaches (I LOVE to eat the fuzzy skin!!). Your latest fruit is probably what we call mamão here -- papaya (I deduced that with my skills in turning words in other languages, especially Spanish, into Portuguese). It's yummy!

mel_peru said...

hey! i think papaya is yummy too!! strangely, papaya in english is also papaya in spanish...i'm not sure what mamei is, and neither were the peruvians i was with, but now i'm on a mission to find out! it looks and tastes completely different than papaya, and there might not be a translation for it? it's not a common fruit in lima, but it is in northern peru where we tried it. how many fruits could there possibly be??