28 July 2007

A world without books

So like my friend Soj, I could (not feasibly) blame my no-blogging on hp (the wait is finally over, just later today). But I won't. This post is about something else that has been on my mind.
I act pretty frequently like I live in a country that gives me no access to books. Amazon probably thinks that, what with all the ones I've been buying lately. They're all being sent to different people to take up precious weight in their suitcases to bring to me so I can have something to read. (HP was a true emergency -- I could have very easily bought it here, but I want #7 to match the rest, which means Scholastic and not Bloomsbury, or for those of you less informed, the US over the UK version)
I am thankful that I am a citizen of a country (and to live in one, lest anyone think I don't have these opportunities outside of my own country) that has free speech. As much trash as the press publishes, I am free to choose what I read. I am free to choose things that I enjoy, and things that are edifying and uplifting, things that feed my soul.
I imagine being a believer in a country that has no access to a written Bible, that the crime of being found with a Bible is punishable upon death, and I think that I would be much more motivated to store it in my heart and mind. I must admit that that particular motivation is difficult for me -- I live in a country that is free to choose God, that is free to choose to store His Word in our hearts and minds, yet we do not. We'll get to it later. It's not pressing. If we knew that our Bibles would soon be taken from us (or our lives, for that matter), what would we do with the meantime?
I don't ask these things to scare anyone; I don't have any inside info. I just wonder, why are times of crisis filled with turning to God and times of normalcy spent procrastinating to spend time with Him later?

No comments: