29 July 2007

Symphony or Jazz?

D and I went to hear the OSB (that's Orquestra Sinfônica Brasileira, or the Brazilian Symphony Orchestra) last night. As the orchestra was playing with decided precision, I started thinking.
Symphony and jazz are very different, both with their own merits. Symphony is very orderly, the same notes are played every time the piece is played, the piece was written with a specific intent by the composer, and there is no straying from the music. Each musician knows what is coming before they even look at the notes. The director, on his little stage, with his little baton, knows exactly what he is going to hear (and if he doesn't, the next practice session may not be pleasant).
Jazz, on the other hand, while always rehearsed beforehand, never comes out the same way twice. It is improvisational at its core. It is full of unexpected riffs and grace notes that some would never dream of putting in. It is laid back -- mistakes are all part of the beautiful fabric of the piece, so go ahead! Mess up! It's not the end of the world!
God is a symphony composer who is a master at the art of jazz, I think. He has ordered so many things before the beginning of the world, and He is outside the time of this music we are playing called life. He has already written a beautiful symphony, and He knows what is going to come out every time a life is lived. But as a jazz master, He knows that things do not always go according to plan. Our lives are full of screw-ups, unexpected moments, and wonderful grace. Most of the time, I feel like I am improvising, but that I am still not very good at it.
When it comes time to choose whether I want symphony or jazz, my perfectionist nature screams "SYMPHONY!", though underneath I scream to experience jazz without stressing out (or screwing up -- ha!). I want to play that music exactly how it's "supposed to be" played, when improv is called for most days. And so my prayer is that God would keep me bumbling around and learning how to play in this life lived like a jazz piece -- not always great to the untrained ear, but perfect to the composer and musician.

1 comment:

The Black Family said...

Very insightful! I'm pretty sure I'm one of those completely eclectic pieces that only the composer can appreciate! You, on the other hand, are a masterpiece! Love you and miss you! Margaret