27 June 2004

A heart for home

I talked to a good friend the other day, and I began to realize that my heart is broken for Americans. Not the country, but its people. So many have heard the gospel and decided to reject it. I'm not sure if it's our country's individual mindset ("my right to do what I want when I want where I want") or the lack of true disciples within the church, or even the exclusivity of the church and some of its entities, but it makes me sad all the same.
Paul says it this way in Romans: "Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved." (Romans 10:1) His ministry was to the Gentiles -- his call was to spread the gospel to those who were not Jewish, yet his heart still broke for those who were Jewish who were not saved, for they were his ancestors and family. My call is to preach the gospel to Brazilians, yet I desire for my ancestors and fellow countrymen to come to the knowledge of the gospel. They have heard it; why don't they want it? I am afraid that God has hardened the hearts of the people as He did to Pharoah. I am afraid that Americans, as a whole, have squandered the opportunity to say yes to God with their entire lives. I am afraid that they are deceived into thinking that everything has to be right before they can approach the cross. That is a lie. Nothing can be made right until we approach the cross, for it is there that Christ laid down His life for all who would believe in Him.

No comments: