14 February 2008

Step 1

Admit you have a problem. Well, I have a problem. I love books. I love buying them, opening a new one, finishing an old one, and reading them.
Things around here have been slow as of late, since our teams don't start up until May. I'm not complaining; it's giving me time to do a lot of stuff I want to do, like read all the Pulitzer Prize-winning novels. I've come upon a new list, and I am attempting to read everything off Peter Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. A complete list of the books can be found here. About 20% of them are available to me from Project Gutenberg, and the rest will just have to wait until I go back to the US. Or will they? I went to the bookstore and bought 2 new books today, one by a Portuguese author, José Saramago (a Nobel laureate) and Atonement (in Portuguese; they didn't have it in English) by Ian McEwan. The problem is this: I already have over 40 books on my to-read list, most of which are saved on my computer (I heart Project Gutenberg!). Two more? What does that make me? Besides seriously addicted....

2 comments:

mel_peru said...

whoa, i don't even recognize quite a few of the books on that list, and i love reading too! so you think you'll make it through the 1001? you'd be my hero! i wish i had more time to read what i want to read...don't get me wrong, i love what i'm reading/learning in seminary! I think it's good to like reading, it helps with continued learning! :-) feliz dia de la amistad! (sorry, that's what they say in peru, i don't know what it is in portuguese!) glad it's been a safe day so far.

Anonymous said...

The scientific name to you problem is called bibliomania. I googled that just to make sure it was a word. I don't think your are the first bibliomaniac but there are certainly no books out there on the subject. Work through it write down the process and then publish a book on the recovery side of this addiction. It will probably be the only recovery for addicts book that 100% of everybody who has the addiction will read.