01 February 2007

Small but wise

"Four things on earth are small, yet they are extremely wise: Ants are creatures of little strength, yet they store up their food in the summer...." (Proverbs 30:24-25)
As I walk around the school where I live, I am always absolutely amazed when I look down at the ground. I can see leaves and flower petals seemingly moving themselves along the ground. Yup, you guessed it. It's the ants. Carrying things that are 10 times their size. They work to build their homes, they work to bring their food home, yet they are so small. God made them a mighty example to us to be diligent, doing one thing at a time.
I think that our culture has been seduced by quick fixes and instant results. We must remember that even though God put His plans in motion from the beginning, they are still not done. How many years has that taken? And He's God! Why do we, who are not God, think we can get things done faster than the One who has chosen to spread the fulfillment of His plans throughout human history?
I tend to get overwhelmed at not seeing what we would call "results" of the workings of God in my own life. But then I remember the ants. They carry one leaf or petal at a time, seeming futile, but full of purpose.

No comments: