21 September 2008

Packing

I was the honoree at a despedida (going-away party) yesterday with some of my fellow missionaries here in Rio. I am leaving Brasil in 10 days, and I am filled with bittersweet memories. This country that has been such a part of me is soon to be part of my past. But not too much in my past, because I am going home with memories and what others might call souvenirs. I received a real, official Brasilian flag that is about 5 feet by 3 feet, and I have added it to the huge pile that has to be packed. Here's a short list of those things that will continue to be a part of my life after October 1:
  • a coffee/tea/dessert service for six
  • two carved stone birds
  • two plates with super-size mugs for soup and bread (or that's what I'll be using them for)
  • several books
  • a double hammock
  • pewter goblets and candlesticks
  • pewter and crystal toasting flutes
  • a leather map of South America
  • a painting
  • the flag

I am slowly getting packed, most of which these days includes copious amounts of bubble wrap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have never thought to eat soup out of a super sized coffee mug. I love your creativity. and I love you

The Black Family said...

I'm getting so excited for you all! When are you arriving back in the US? I've been checking out your wish list and I can't decide. Just know that we love you and we are so excited about the next turn in your journey.

Love,
M