02 September 2008

Latest update

Hi!
I know it’s been quite awhile since I last wrote, but that’s not because there hasn’t been anything going on around here. We’ve been super-busy, even during our weeks off.
We have had several teams, mostly medical. We have been to our annual mission meeting. We have started to make plans to close out the year. Two of my best friends have come to visit. My dad and brother have come to visit. My mom is coming at the end of September.
My most exciting news is this: I am engaged! D and I have been together for almost 3 years, and he asked me to marry him in July. Of course, I am now looking forward to going home much more than I was. Because of my visa (it expires October 15) and all the wedding plans that have to be made, I will be going home October 1. That means I will miss the last few teams, including the one I first came down with over 6 years ago.
As I look at closing this chapter in my life, I have been reflecting on all of the blessings He has given me (somehow, the hardships and sufferings have faded into the background). I met and have lived with AE, who has blessed me in so many ways. I have had the privilege of every member of my immediate family come and visit, some more than once. I have had several friends come to visit. I have had a love/hate relationship with this culture that is so foreign, yet so home. I have come to understand so much about how the Lord longs for us, and how He designed us to long for Him. If I had to pick one thing to share that I have learned over the past 6 years, it would be hard. So I will pick a few things that I am still learning. First, God is faithful. He always fulfills His promises, though it’s so often not in the ways we expect. Second, He is trustworthy to provide all that we need. Over the last 6 years, I have never been in want, even when I took a considerable salary cut. Third, He is sovereign. Everything that He allows us to pass through is for our good, and not for our harm. Even when it seems very different at the time.
Please continue to pray for R, S, and A, as they finish out the last month of teams and prepare to take the next step that God has for them. Pray for the teams as they come through, that God would show them Himself, and that they may show His love in the areas they minister to. Continue to pray for the Brazilian people, that God would give them eyes to see Him and hearts that desire Him.
For He alone is worthy.

1 comment:

Katie Nalls said...

Hi Jennifer! I just saw that you are engaged. Congratulations! I really enjoyed reading about some of what the Lord has taught you in Brazil. He is so good! I'm sure you are crazy busy getting ready to go and "despidiring". That is tough. I'll check back on the blog for your future plans.
-katie