14 August 2008

A bookish day

Yesterday was a good day in Brasil. We've got the week off (there's a tiny evangelism team here, but R is taking care of it) and so yesterday was reserved for lunch at the Outback and a trip to the movies to see "the new Batman."

Of course, between events we had to go to the bookstore (it's like a tractor beam pulls me in each time I walk by). I've been looking for classics that I haven't read yet (and/or should have read long before now), and I came across Anna Karenina. In English, not Portuguese. The fabulous bookstore here imports Barnes & Noble Classics, and they're not much more expensive than they are in the U.S. Price in dollars? $8.95. Price in reais? R$16,60. That's about $2 more than the price in dollars, if you convert it. But for a book in Brasil, that's really cheap, especially for a book that is 700+ pages and imported.

Anyway, I picked up the book, planning to buy it, and when I got to the counter, what did I discover? I had a bonus waiting for me. I had accumulated the required number of points on my loyalty card, and I got a R$15,00 discount! All said, I bought Anna Karenina for R$1,60, which is roughly $1. God bless discounts.

No comments: