11 August 2007

Waiting.....again

I went to the Federal Police (those are basically the immigration and ID guys here in Brasil) yesterday to turn in everything to renew my visa. After all that happened last year (at the consulate), I am suspicious of any visa process being easy. But that's exactly what happened.
I went to the despachante's office (that's the guy who runs around and knows everybody, which is a huge help in Brasil) and picked up my documents. I was a little worried that I would have to make copies of my passport and my protocolo (that's my little ID paper, since I don't have a card yet). Lo and behold, he had already made them and gotten them authenticated! Check off one thing on the to-do list. Once we got to the police, I asked like 3 times to make sure all the papers I needed were there. Sure enough, they were, so I paid my tax and came back to turn the papers in.
I walked out with a little sheet of paper giving me 6 more months to stay in the country, and a number that I can check on the internet in 90 to 120 days. THEN I can go back and get my visa stamped in my passport. THEN I can leave the country without worrying about having problems coming back. Geez.

No comments: