24 April 2007

City travel

Mia and I went to Pão de Açucar (Sugar Loaf) today and made it there very well in a taxi. Since the dollar is so crappy right now (meaning we're getting a HORRIBLE exchange rate), I didn't want to spend that much money to get home. So we asked the information guy what buses passed by there and went to a metro station. Good idea; the metro comes very close to my apartment.
The bus ride was fine, even though it was the first time I had taken that particular route and the cord that you pull to signal the driver to stop and let you off at the next stop was broken. Or he couldn't hear. I'm not sure which. We got to the metro station without any hassle and bought our tickets. I forgot one huge detail. IT WAS 5:15 WHEN WE GOT TO THE METRO STATION. Hmm. The train arrived and was already chock full (so we thought). The guy in front of us kept pushing people farther and farther into the train (thank goodness, or Mia's arm would have been cut off by the closing doors). Mia's face was in my armpit until I graciously moved it for her. Then we started laughing. The kind that doesn't stop. I am glad of many, many things today, but I will name two here: that we didn't get to laughing too hard, and that I am not claustrophobic.

No comments: