20 June 2006

Sunrises

I got up this morning about 5 to go to the bathroom. As I turned on the light, I had to look away because I was blinded, as my eyes were used to the dark. It got me thinking about the sunrise and how good (and creative) God was in making the gradual changes. We don't see all the light at once, so it's easier to see its beauty in place of the shock I feel as I turn on the light at 5 in the morning.
All throughout the Bible it speaks of God's holiness as something that we cannot see, lest we die. Holy and unholy cannot coexist; holiness and justice demand death for our sins against the Holy One. Christ provides that death, once and for all. As we "put on" Christ, that is, as we identify with Him and His death, His death becomes ours, and the blood that He spilled makes us holy. And His resurrection gives life. As such, we are worthy to dwell with God. I think that God reveals Himself to us gradually, for if we were to see all of Him and His holiness at once, we would be overwhelmed and in despair. But Christ is our only hope. He came to us so that we could come to God and know Him.

1 comment:

mel_peru said...

I love it. Something that I have thought a lot about lately is "What does it mean to be holy...what does a holy life look like." I like the way you think and write.