06 April 2006

Laughable or not

I can't decide. For those of you I have talked to, you know LOTS of tears were shed over this, beginning about 3 weeks ago. Went to the Brazilian Consulate in Miami to apply for a visa on Monday and sat in the wrong office for 3 hours. Right city, right street, right building, right floor, wrong office. If I hadn't lived in Brazil already, I would have wondered why no one told me when I signed in. Having lived in Brazil, I didn't wonder. By the time I figured it out, the visa section had closed for lunch. Hmmph. And then they wouldn't accept my documents Monday afternoon (understandable, since they only accept visa apps from 10-12). Went back Tuesday morning. The lady at the counter told me I needed a missionary visa, though that's not what I was applying for. Went back at 3 to talk to her supervisor (she told me to come back) and my docs were still sitting on her desk waiting to be looked at. E-mailed her to make sure all my documents were in order, and it turns out I was missing one that I needed from Brazil. Hmmph again. E-mailed my boss in Brasilia and he sent me a letter asking the consulate to reconsider their requirement for that particular document for lots and lots of reasons. Mailed that to the consulate this morning. We'll see what happens. All I can do now is wait and do what they tell me to.

No comments: