01 February 2006

So I am definitely here in Virginia having adventures. My roommate is one whole foot shorter than I am (that's twelve inches, for those of you who are measurementally challenged). We have had "special meals" a couple of times, and we've had to eat only what was put in front of us (for those of you who know me, you know that wasn't a problem). In other words, no going to the vending machines after lunch because you didn't like the food.
The first special meal was Middle Eastern in nature. It consisted of meatballs (ground beef, but if we'd been in the ME, it would have been lamb -- ew), a "salsa" made of cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions, and a pita-type bread.
Yesterday we had a Caribbean flavor -- pork that looked strangely like barbeque, corn and flour tortillas, salsa (the kind you eat with chips), and black beans and rice. Now let's talk about these black beans and rice with no seasoning. I am used to having them seasoned with garlic and onion (the Brazilian way to eat them), and these had nothing. Not even the tiniest bit of salt. One of our tablemates asked what gave the rice its color. "Bean juice" was the quick answer. I'm not sure he knew what I meant...

No comments: