16 January 2006

Hope is a good thing

Psalm 51:4: “Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight, so that You are proved right when You speak and justified when You judge.”
(The end of the Portuguese version translates “Your sentence is just and You have reason to condemn me.”)
I have sinned in such a way that God’s sentence is righteous and He has every right to condemn me. This is the gravity of sin – He is right and has every reason to condemn me! But I can also ask for mercy; because Jesus died and was raised again, my sins are gone. His spilled blood takes away (leva) my sin, so that I do not have it anymore.
That is the message that He wants me to take to others – our utter defeat because we have disobeyed God (we cannot obey Him perfectly, for no one is perfect) and the hope that we have because Jesus stepped in to take away the punishment for that disobedience.
The message of hope can break down barriers.

No comments: