22 September 2004

We have a choir here this week, singing in all sorts of different places. They are helping me to remember how much I love music.
Music invokes passion and emotion, I have heard it said that it massages the soul. It is a universal language. It can make me laugh, cry, and do everything in between. It reminds me of old friends, old boyfriends, good times and bad. Let's face it -- music is fun. Or it is for me, anyway.
Brazil has been so good, because their music is so expressive. People don't sing in the church choir or praise band because they're good; they sing because they love it. Music is part of the culture here, much like it was for the slaves in the United States before the Civil War. That's the one thing that their masters couldn't take away, and that's one thing that no one can take away here, either. Music is life here, and I love it.
Music is the one thing that I can understand here, whether I understand the words or not. It's amazing when we are singing songs that I know in English, and these people know in Portuguese, and we're all just singing together. The Holy Spirit knows no barrier -- of language, of culture, of person -- and so worship and praise are the same all over the world.

No comments: