30 September 2004

Understanding but not speaking

Okay, so now I know how people in the U.S. must feel if they aren't able to speak English well, even if they can understand a lot of it. My roommate introduced me to one of her friends today, and he asked me if I liked Brazil, and I just said "yes" (being a woman of few words, even in English). He proceeded to tell her that I couldn't speak very well, like I didn't understand him. I don't know why people venture to do this, especially upon meeting another person. I am still learning much about how to communicate with others here in Portuguese, especially since I still think in English. I am getting better, and I welcome correction, especially from friends and those around whom I spend a lot of time.
Part of me thinks that this is ridiculous, that I shouldn't get my feelings hurt just because of one comment. Part of me thinks that it's just rude to do that to others. So remember, if you come across someone who isn't from your country who can't speak your language, beware: they may be able to understand much more than you think.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Heh. I usually err on the OTHER side, I think. I try to speak with my Hispanic neighbors, and I usually end of with some kind of Spanglish, but then I overexplain myself in English and they look at me like I'm crazy. I can't tell if they actually understand my babbling (I'm sure some of the ladies do) or just think "what is this gringa saying? She's loco!"

I'm praying for you. And I think I know how you feel. Sometimes I feel like a foreigner in my own neighborhood.

I need to learn Spanish.